The choice of & rsquo; equipment best suited to a mass finishing operation is an important point in our range of over 150 different models (vibrators, centrifuges different families…).
The choice of media is equally important, see more ; but the range of over 6500 products may seem difficult to understand.
They are chosen according to :
– The objective (deburring,fr, polishing , edges radiusing, brightening, sand blasted effect...) and parts material that define the abrasive power of the chips (more or less abrasive, or polishing) ; thus, for harder materials such as hardened steel or ceramics or zircones, one will choose a more powerful abrasive compared with more ductile materials such as brass, s & rsquo; Aluminum, Niobium or the & rsquo; Or.
– The size and morphology of the parts define the shape and dimensions of the chips
Main product code :
Shape codification :
– ACC : angle cut cylinder : Angle cut cylinder
– SCC : straight cut cylinder : Straight Cut Cylinder
– ACT : angle cut triangle : angled cut triangle
– SCT : straight cut triangle : straight cut triangle
– BALL : ball
– SCTS ou ACTS : angle or straight cut tristar
– P : pyramid
– WEDGE : wedge
– CONE : cone
– Paraboloid : Paraboloid
Most common material codification (non-exhaustive list) :
- MGA : abrasive
- FGA : low abrasive
- PW : medium grain
- FPW : fine grain
- FPRW : very fine grain
- TKS / TKX : very abrasive
- TKV / TKG : abrasive medium
- TKM / TKK : light abrasive
- TKP : polishing
- SS304 : stainless steel 304
- SS316 : stainless steel 316
- Copper : Copper
Some basic elements for choosing the right chips :
- always choose the largest possible, allowing chips “to touch” all areas to be treated
- more the chips are big, more they will have power ; they will thus have more effectiveness in eliminating some resistant burrs and reduce the cycle time
- for deburring or polishing a hole of diameter 10, three strategies appear : solution A : we accept that the chips penetrate completely into the hole (with the risk of letting some chips inside the hole after the process and making necessary a final control) : the best choice may be cylinders diameter 8 ; an angle cut chip will facilitate the introduction of the chips in the hole ; we will ensure to eliminate the chips whose diameter approaches diameter 5, because it will block two chips (5+5=10); solution B : we refuse that the chips completely penetrate the hole : the best choice may be cylinders diameter 12 ; the tip linked to the angle cut will make easier the introduction of the chips inside the hole ; this solution presents some limits if we want to process an area inside the hole that is not very near the entrance of the hole ; solution C : same philosophy as the solution B, but using chips such as CONE TKS 12*12 (the tip of the cone will penetrate inside the hole without fully penetrate it) or ACTS MGA 15*15 (angle cut tristar)
- do not forget to consider the separation stage between parts and chips at the end of the process ; If parts or chips are magnetic (see magnetic centrifuges), the problem is simple; on the other hand, dimensional separation will, with manual sievers for small quantities of parts, or with vibrating sieve http://www.abcswisstech.com/equipements-tribofinition/tamiseurs/ , if you want a more industrial method; chips dimensions must be different enough from parts dimensions.
- do not forget that the media has a wear rate due to their abrasiveness, but also to the power provided by the mass finishing equipment ; apart from porcelain chips (white ceramic), having chips that do not wear means that they work only very few, and instead of deburring and polishing parts, they generate hardening effects , often prjudicial to the quality of the surfaces
- These basic tips will help you to avoid the most simple mistakes ; feel free to contact us to get more complete advice ; the engineers and technicians of our laboratory will help you to solve your problems ; the laboratory is equipped with about 30 different equipment and with a range of more than 6500 different chips to help you to find the good solution or optimize your present process.